November 04, 2012 Update: The following tutorial has been updated for magento version 18.104.22.168
Follow the steps below to import products (bulk) from a csv file into Magento.
1. Go to Magento Admin > Catalog > Manage Categories and then add few categories.
2. If you want to add extra attributes for your products then go to Catalog >Attributes >Manage Attributes and click Add new Attribute. You can also save your Attributes sets based on the attributes you have defined.
3. Then go to Magento Admin > Catalog > Manage Products and add 4-5 products manually.
4. Then go to your Magento Admin > System > Import/Export > Export
5. Select Entity Type > Products
6. Scroll Down and click continue to export your csv with all attributes.
7. The csv will be downloaded.
8. Open this CSV file with Open Office Calc and populate the file. When you will be populating file, consider the following points.
- sku should be unique
- _category will have your category name e.g Furniture. If you want to add your product to a sub category then use Furniture/Living Room.
- If you want to add your product to multiple categories then you can add “,” comma separated e.g Shoes/Men,Shoes/Women
- For images, first upload all your images to media/import directory using ftp. Then update “image” column in your csv file with the image names e.g if the name of the image is furniture.jpg, you will add /furniture.jpg to the image column against that product that is you will use a forward slash before the image name/extension.
- To import multiple images, use/create “gallery” column in your products import CSV file.Under this column enter images name separated by semicolon ( ; ) . Please enter relative path of images e.g. /furniture1_1.jpg;/furniture1_2.jpg
9. After populating your csv file, copy by selecting all and then paste it in a new document and then go File and then Click Save As. Choose Save as Type “Text CSV (.csv)”
10. Choose Character Set “Unicode (UTF-8)” and “check Quote all text cells” and click Ok.
11. Then go to Go to Admin > System > Import/Export >Import
12. Select File to Import by clicking Choose File and Import Behavior “Append Complex Data” and click Check Data.
13. You will get validations results like
Checked Rows: 5035, checked entities 5035, invalid rows: 0, total errors:0
File is valid! To start import process press “import” button.
14. Press Import button to import products from the csv file.
If you get errors like
1. Category does not exists in rows: 3, 4, 6, 9, 10
Solution: If the category name is not added in the backend, add that and in your csv file you should have 1 extra space after that category name.
2. Invalid value for ‘manufacturer’ in rows: 4461, 4462, 4463, 4464
Solution: If you are using a dropdown for attributes like manufacturer or color, you might get this error, you can fix this error by adding 1 space after the Manufacturer name in the csv.
3. Images showing up on the frontend but not showing in the admin (For this read my comment below, comment no 6 posted on December 11, 2012)
If you have any questions, do leave your comments below and If you need help in importing products to your magento store Hire me on Odesk.